Tuesday, September 25, 2007

abundance

We have been fooled by America's abundance...

We are enthusiastic over how many kinds of peanut butter we have to choose from, but are satisfied with two political parties.

We settle for convenience every time -- the one-stop-shopping mega-mart with the treeless parking lot -- while losing a life of thoughtfulness and intention.

We believe that having so much should cost so little, an idea that has instead cost us our manufacturing, our economic security, and our ability to provide for each other.

It is easy to say I will consume less, I will tread softer on this ground, I will leave behind less residue and refuse. But my guilty pleasures lure me into "just this once" indulgences I still struggle to resist. Cute things. Fuzzy things. Yummy smelly girly things. Lately, making art satisfies me (especially making cute fuzzy girly things!), and does so without the rotten hangover of empty consumption. So maybe art is my new guilty pleasure...

No comments: